Date: 4/27/18 8:29 pm
From: David Dowell <dave1wx...>
Subject: [cobirds] RUFF at Upper Queens / Neeskah Res., Kiowa County
This evening I observed what I believe is a female / immature male RUFF at
Upper Queens / Neeskah Reservoir.

https://coloradocountybirding.org/BySite.aspx?SiteID=902&CountyID=32

This site is a State Wildlife Area with presumably usual rules for access.
The Ruff was on the north shore among several hundred shorebirds of
various sizes, associating mostly with Long-billed Dowitchers and Lesser
Yellowlegs. The shorebirds were skittish and moving around while a Norther
Harrier was hunting in the area. If the bird remains in this location,
re-finding it would be challenging since it is far from parking areas and
in an area that is obscured by brush and sticks. The walk from the nearest
parking area required some bushwhacking.

The bird might be picked out of a crowd because it has a paler head than
the other shorebirds. At closer range, the short bill and orange legs can
be seen.

David Dowell
Longmont, CO