Date: 4/27/18 5:48 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Last Yard Junco, Westwood
Interesting long term on Mt Greylock. White-throated Sparrow was fairly common above Jones's Nose, almost abundant along the Saddleball Trail 25/30 years ago encountering them in small numbers below Jones's Nose. Junco was common, but above Jones's Nose (not sure of elevation but probably above 1500 ft.)

So, now Junco is encountered quite a bit lower than that with one/two encountered 2 or 3 miles south of Jones's Nose (barely above 1000 ft?) White-throated Sparrow is now confined to the very top of Greylock and likely to be extirpated in the next 10 (5?) years!

October Mt has a good population of White-throated Sparrow, but this is probably due to the almost clear cutting of the flatish top a decade (or longer) ago. Few juncos.

There is a small population of Juncos near the top of Mt Holyoke (Skinner State Park).

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

> On April 27, 2018 at 7:14 AM Bill Lafley <blafley...> wrote:
>
> Walt,
>
> Thanks for your post. Up here (1100') in New Salem I usually have Juncos until the 29th or 30th and then can't find them on May 1. Not sure if they have a calendar or not. The other interesting note about Juncos is 20-30 years ago they used to be fairly easy to find nesting up here. We lived in Wendell (adjacent town, same elevation) for 10 years and had a pair nesting in our yard for a few years back in the early 90s. We generally would always find a couple nesting pairs in town when we did the bird-a-thon in mid-May. The last MA Breeding Bird Atlas in the blocks I did around here I had a very difficult time finding Juncos, in fact, I found a few individuals after May but not sure if I ever really confirmed them.
>
> Bill Lafley
> New Salem
> <blafley...> mailto:<blafley...>
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 3:18 PM, Walt Webb <wwebb24...> mailto:<wwebb24...> > wrote:
>
> > > I keep a record of when the first Junco arrives in my yard in the fall and when the last one departs from the property in the spring. I've kept a back yard winter feeding station for about 46 years. Dates of Junco departure have ranged from April 10 to 28. This year the final Juncos (2) were seen on the 23rd. I'm always a bit sad to see these my little feathered visitors who have stayed all winter leave in the spring!
> >
> > Walt Webb
> > Westwood, MA
> > <webb24...> mailto:<webb24...>

Join us on Facebook!