Date: 4/27/18 1:37 pm
From: Alan & Joan Linquist <linquists...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Birds on Wisconsin's rare bird list
Thanks Tim.
I did a search for Rare Birds in Wisconsin and got the DNR list.  That is the one that listed the Harrier, the Ruby Crowned Kinglet and the Common Loon.  After your e-mail, I also found one the e-bird list, which has a lot less birds on it.  But that e-bird list does bring up something else.  Last year, I heard a Northern Mockingbird while biking in the Appleton area.  This was in early June and when I reported it to e-bird, they said that was unusual as mocking birds are usually not spotted this time of year and asked for corroboration.  All I could say was that I had lived in the south and had learned to identify the mocking bird call very easily.  Today, I saw one in the Northern Kettle Moraine.  This is highly unusual but it was a juvenile.  (spotted breast.)  I do not photograph these birds unless I have the opportunity to do so, so how do i "collect" data or corroboration of these birds for e-bird?
On Friday, April 27, 2018 3:12 PM, Tim Hahn <thahnbirder...> wrote:

Alan, are you referencing these as species that are flagged as rare in ebird? If So, that simply means that the bird is rare that time of year. There are filters established that change from time to time. These filters may call a species rare on April 30 but not rare on Mat 1. It's true that having an arbitrary change from one day to the next is not optimal, but given the systems we have currently, it's the best we can do with limited know-how and resources.

Tim Hahn
Pewaukee, WI
Waukesha Cty
WBBA II Coordinator
Benjamin F. Goss Bird Club
On Fri, Apr 27, 2018, 2:41 PM Alan & Joan Linquist <linquists...> wrote:

I went birding in Fond du Lac County and of the birds on my list, three were on the rare bird list.  All three I have seen earlier this year and other people have mentioned them this year, so it is a surprise that they are on the rare bird list.  If some one can explain to the me (or us) what is the proper procedure for this site, let us know.  Otherwise I will just mention them:
Northern Harrier (1) sitting low in a treeRuby Crowned Kinglet (2) spotted at two different placesCommon Loon (2) spotted at two different places.
Thanks,
Alan LInquist (Washington County)