Date: 4/27/18 12:40 pm
From: Marlene A Condon via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] REALLY excessive use of bird call
On Saturday, September 21, starting at 5:37 PM and continuing until after 10 PM,  I heard "who cooks for you" for about 15 minutes of every hour!!!!!

I don't know for a fact, but I am assuming someone was trying to determine if there were any Barred Owls in this area as he/she made his/her way up the mountain behind me and along the roadways to the north of where I live.

This use of the Barred Owl call seems far too excessive to be a birder doing this just for his/her own knowledge, so I'm wondering if it was for the atlasing project that is taking place.  A downside of citizen science is that it encourages some folks to believe the ends justify the means.  It's sad to say, but I witness this belief way too often.

Sincerely,
Marlene