Date: 4/27/18 12:14 pm
From: Sherri Smith <grackle...>
Subject: [birders] more loons down
Yesterday I had to pick up a downed loon on Interstate 275 under the Warren Rd bridge. It is thin and not as spunky as usual, plus dirty. it will probably be OK. Today I got a call about one down in the parking lot of an apartment complex in Westwood. I suspect the these are the ones who were stuck in the too small ponds without enough to eat. Now that they have escaped, they aren’t strong enough to get to a good place. You all need to be on the watch for them. Put a heavy towel or two in your car, along with a cat carrier or loon sized box and rescue them. Then you can call me 734-994-6287 or the Howell Nature Center at 517-548-5530.They often don’t answer immediately but return calls. If you are lucky, your rescued loon will make the loon noises in your arms. They will be very dehydrated. Buy a bottle of Pedialyte and try to get them to drink out of a bowl. You could get good at this. I’m trying to report on how many of these loons there are to a couple of people, let me know. If you handle them in a big towel, you will be safe.
Sherri Smith

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<D9D4A9EB-DB78-4696-88CE-43B184CE2D74...>