Date: 4/27/18 11:12 am
From: Gabriel Willow <gabrielwillow...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Birdiest day so far! NYC
As is so often the case, bad weather = good birds. This morning I led an extremely productive walk for NYC Audubon in Central Park, from Strawberry Fields across to the Ramble.

We had about 50 species over the course of the morning, including 13 species of Warbler. It wasn’t quite a fallout, but it was close. There were more Blue-headed Vireos than I’ve maybe ever seen in a single morning - I’d often find 3 or 4 in a single binocular view - eBird flagged the number as high after 16 but I must’ve seen at least 25!

FOY species for me included a Veery, Winter Wren, numerous Yellow Warblers, a Black-throated Blue Warbler singing between Bow Bridge & Willow Island, Prairie Warblers (we saw at least 6 of those, also an unusually high number), American Redstart, Ovenbird (several), Northern Parula, and a stunning male Hooded Warbler seen by many over by Hernshead.

There were also good numbers of Northern Waterthrush singing near most waterways, Gray Catbirds I’m larger numbers than in recent days, and several Savannah Sparrows.

Nice to have so many birds brightening up a dreary day!

Gabriel Willow
NYC Audubon

ARCHIVES:
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01