Date: 4/27/18 8:30 am
From: Lydia Schindler <lydia13621...>
Subject: [MDBirding] read and weep
"The Kentucky warbler is as common as it can be during the breeding season in Washington, for I think that every square foot of its habitat belongs to the territory of one pair or another... You hear the Kentucky warblers continually in the woods about the city, wherever there is good ground cover...."
--Louis J. Halle, Spring in Washington, 1947

"The Blackpoll Warbler...holds all sorts of memories for those who love warblers, yet sadly, in the past two decades, its numbers have declined substantially. I recall encountering thirty or more on a spring morning in Washington, D.C., but now I rarely hear or see more than one or two in a day."
--Bruce M. Beehler, North on the Wing, 2018