Date: 4/27/18 7:14 am
From: m b via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] non sighting AT comment
Not to be picky, but I think that thru-hiking is terminology reserved for people who hike the entire AT from Georgia to Maine or reverse. Hiking a chunk of the AT, or PCT, or Continental Divide Trail, (and some other US and international trails as well) be it under 50 miles, like what I plan to do soon, or long, like what these folks did - all of VA, is called "section hiking." Calling oneself a "thru hiker" when one has completed only a section of the trail in one hiking season, even a very long section like VA, which is about 25% of the AT, is bad form, from what I understand. Having completed a thru-hike is a major accomplishment, and obviously a different one from having completed a section hike, even a very long one. Very cool that they atlased the entire VA section though!

mb from NOVA