Date: 4/27/18 5:38 am
From: Bill Lafley <blafley...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Last Yard Junco, Westwood
Walt,

Thanks for your post. Up here (1100') in New Salem I usually have Juncos
until the 29th or 30th and then can't find them on May 1. Not sure if they
have a calendar or not. The other interesting note about Juncos is 20-30
years ago they used to be fairly easy to find nesting up here. We lived in
Wendell (adjacent town, same elevation) for 10 years and had a pair
nesting in our yard for a few years back in the early 90s. We generally
would always find a couple nesting pairs in town when we did the
bird-a-thon in mid-May. The last MA Breeding Bird Atlas in the blocks I
did around here I had a very difficult time finding Juncos, in fact, I
found a few individuals after May but not sure if I ever really confirmed
them.

Bill Lafley
New Salem
<blafley...>

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 3:18 PM, Walt Webb <wwebb24...> wrote:

> I keep a record of when the first Junco arrives in my yard in the fall and
> when the last one departs from the property in the spring. I've kept a back
> yard winter feeding station for about 46 years. Dates of Junco departure
> have ranged from April 10 to 28. This year the final Juncos (2) were seen
> on the 23rd. I'm always a bit sad to see these my little feathered visitors
> who have stayed all winter leave in the spring!
>
> Walt Webb
> Westwood, MA
> <webb24...>

Join us on Facebook!