Date: 4/26/18 9:44 am
From: Ashley Peele via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Atlasing the Appalachian Trail
Atlas-ing for the VABBA2 while thru-hiking Virginia’s 537-miles of
Appalachian Trail gave Diana Doyle the opportunity to immerse herself in
birding. For nearly 70 days, she lived day and night in the summer breeding
habitat of eastern woodland birds.

“I was fascinated by the idea of collecting data about breeding birds while
hiking through some of Virginia’s most remote and least-birded areas,” says
54-year-old retired mathematics and social sciences professor Diana Doyle.
In the spring of 2017, she and her husband, Mark, 61, thru-hiked 537 miles
of Virginia’s Appalachian Trail. “As long-time conservationists and birding
enthusiasts, when we discovered the VABBA2, we decided to atlas the entire
route.”

To read more about Diana and her adventure, visit:
https://ebird.org/atlasva/news/diana-doyle-thru-hiked-virginias-appalachian-trail-while-birding-for-the-vabba2

Ashley Peele, PhD
Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas Coordinator
Conservation Management Institute - Virginia Tech
Office: 540-231-9182
Fax: 540-231-7019