Date: 4/25/18 6:01 pm
From: Mitchell Pruitt <0000000b4ac30a99-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Spring Migrants Dazzle Dreary Jonesboro
A few days late, but I birded Craighead Forest Park in Jonesboro Monday morning. In a drizzling rain, spring migrants adorned the trees. Notables were LOTS of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, White-eyed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Great-crested Flycatcher, Scarlet & Summer Tanagers, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Perhaps one of the most interesting finds was a Downy Woodpecker nest cavity about 9’ off the ground. I became privy to its location when the male fluttered up to the hole with food, as I stood nearby. His presence on the tree prompted the female to peek out. She then exited to forage and he entered. The female returned with food, the male peeked out and flew off to forage, and the process began again. I watched this with interest for about 20 minutes. During the exchanges, I noted that it took the male almost twice as long as the female to return with food!

Later, at my house, FOY Chimney Swifts flew over, while Indigo Buntings and Chipping Sparrows bobbed around in the wet yard.

Good birding,
Mitchell Pruitt

Join us on Facebook!