Date: 4/25/18 2:46 pm
From: David Moon <dmoon...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Scotland Road, etc. - Joppa's Wednesday Morning Birding
Dave Larson and I went inland today, with a small group of all-weather birders to find residents and migrators. We visited Scotland Road, Ash Street Swamp, Cherry Hill Reservoir, and Pikes Bridge Road. Sweeping the Swallows and ending with an American Bittern were highlights on an outing slathered with camaraderie.

Our list:

Canada Goose, common.
Mute Swan (2)
Wood Duck common
American Black Duck (2)
Mallard
Ring-necked Duck - Colby Farm beaver pond.
Red-breasted Merganser (4) - Joppa Flats.
Ruddy Duck (4) - Cherry Hill Reservoir.
Double-crested Cormorant (13) - all but one Colby Farm beaver pond.
Great Blue Heron (12) - various.
Great Egret (2) - Colby Farm beaver pond.
American Bittern (1) - Upper Artichoke Reservoir from Pikes Bridge Road.
Turkey vulture (2)
Osprey (1) - Colby Farm beaver pond.
Northern Harrier (1) - Cherry Hill Reservoir.
Killdeer (2) - Common Pasture.
Greater Yellowlegs (2) - Common Pasture.
Wilson's Snipe (5) - Common Pasture.
Rock Pidgeon
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (2)
Northern Flicker (3)
Eastern Phoebe (1)
American Crow (2)
Tree Swallow common
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (5) - Ash Street Swamp and Cherry Hill Reservoir.
Bank Swallow (1) - Cherry Hill Reservoir.
Cliff Swallow (1) - Cherry Hill Reservoir.
Barn Swallow common.
Black-capped Chickadee common.
Tufted Titmouse (7)
White-breasted Nuthatch (2)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1)
American Robin common
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow common
Swamp Sparrow common
White-throated Sparrow (1)
Northern Cardinal (12)
Red-winged Blackbird common.
Common Grackle common.
House Finch common.
American Goldfinch common.
House Sparrow

Dave Weaver will be back next week, and Friday I'll post a more descriptive report of this outing on Joppa Flats' blog:
https://blogs.massaudubon.org/theflats/
We have great trips coming up with spaces left. Visit our website for details.

Regards,
David

David Moon
Sanctuary Director
Joppa Flats Education Center
Mass Audubon
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-462-9998
www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats

You can't be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. - Hal Borland

Mass Audubon: Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts. Please consider investing in the work of Joppa Flats by becoming a member. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!