Date: 4/24/18 3:03 pm
From: Carol Del-Colle <wvnaturalist...>
Subject: Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Black and White Warbler, Common Yellowthroat (FOY)- Yard-Summit Point
On this gray rainy day, I saw sunshine in the form of 3 lovely first of the year birds. About 7:30 this morning, a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird came to the side deck nectar feeder. I had been waiting for one to arrive ever since I put the feeder out about a week ago. The showery weather this morning didn't seem to bother him at all.

With a break in the weather, I decided to take a walk around the yard perimeter near the field and the wooded area. In the tree line of the field, I found a Black and White Warbler creeping along the limbs and branches. I love these little guys in their zebra-like garb. Not only was it the first one I have seen this year, but it was the first one I have seen in the yard for a few years. While watching the warbler, I heard the distinctive song of a Common Yellowthroat, and although I never saw it, there was no doubt that one was there just teasing me as I strained to try to get a glimpse.

As I continued on my walk, I was treated to the sight and sound of several Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets flitting about. A Catbird, Towhee, Field Sparrows, and White-throated Sparrows added their voices to the morning chorus. By the end of my walk, just as another shower was beginning , I had heard or seen 24 species. Yes, it may have been a gray rainy morning, but there was sunshine in my heart.

Happy birding,

Carol Del-Colle

Summit Point

Jefferson County