Date: 4/24/18 1:13 pm
From: Catherine Fisher <catherineckx...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Friday Evening Woodcock Viewing, Lee
This Friday, (April 27) NH Audubon and the Lee Conservation Commission
will be holding a woodcock viewing at the Joe Ford Wildlife Sanctuary, at
7:00 p.m.

The Joe Ford Wildlife Sanctuary is an established woodcock singing ground,
with as many as four males observed displaying in recent weeks. We invite
folks to spend an hour learning about, listening to, and observing these
unique upland shorebirds. While we wait for the woodcock to get started
with their courtship displays, we'll discuss their life history - what they
eat, preferred habitats, courtship, nesting and migration. Also discussed
will be the decline in woodcock population. Woodcock are among 46 avian
species listed by NH Fish and Game as species of greatest conservation
need. As lack of appropriate early successional habitats is the main factor
in this species' decline, we will discuss the importance of creating and
managing the type of open shrubland favored by woodcock.

As well as being able to hear, and (more difficult) see the woodcock,
we'll have photographs of peenting woodcock, a weirdly wonderful
woodcock skull,
and a frozen woodcock to provide participants with a good look at the
bird's beautiful cryptic plumage, distinctive beak, and those special
primaries which create the whistling heard during the male's spiraling
flight. During past events, we've often been treated to barred owl duets
and the goodnight songs of hermit thrush, wood thrush, robin, song sparrow,
cardinal and catbird.

The viewing area is a short walk along the field edge, which is somewhat
rough and mounded; sturdy shoes are suggested. Ticks and mud are a
definite possibility, and spring evenings can be damp and cool, so please
dress accordingly. Feel free to bring a folding chair, and binoculars.
All ages are very welcome, but children must be able to watch quietly while
the woodcocks are displaying as noises and moving around can disrupt the
birds - it's been our experience that this has never been an issue and that
the children attending this event are extremely respectful.

Joe Ford Wildlife Sanctuary is located on Garrity Road in Lee - after
turning onto Garrity from Mast Road (155A) the sanctuary is located about
1/2 mile down Garrity on the right. Traffic cones will be placed near the
sanctuary entrance. Parking is along the sanctuary side of Garrity, and we
request that cars pull well off the road and ask that folks not park on the
crests of hills.