Date: 4/24/18 11:46 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 04/23/2018
Yesterday was a productive day at Poplar Island. Many breeding birds
arrived between yesterday and the prior census. Snowy Egrets, Cattle
Egrets, and Glossy Ibis were back in the heronry. I found seven pairs of
Willets and 19 Osprey nests. Seaside Sparrows were singing in four of the
cells. I counted 20 Black-necked Stilts and eight Virginia Rails.

Lingering waterfowl included one each Tundra Swan, Long-tailed Duck, and
Red-breasted Merganser, plus eight Black Scoters.

Shorebird species diversity was reasonable, with the highlights being two
American Avocets and an early Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Interesting passerines (heard only) on Coaches Island included White-eyed
Vireo, Pine Warbler, and Yellow-throated Warbler.

No Common Gallinules yet. I did not see any American Oystercatchers
yesterday, but my coworker spotted one this morning.

eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44894261

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD