Date: 4/24/18 8:44 am
From: Paul Wells <pfwells51...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Chukar and Northern Bobwhite at Kennebunk Plains
Hi all,

Just a heads up -- in case anyone goes birding at the Maguire Road section
of the Kennebunk Plains and spots an exotic-looking game bird, there
apparently was a stocked Chukar hunt there on Sunday. We walked there
yesterday morning (4/23) and ran into a couple of folks running dogs. They
asked if we'd seen any Chukar (!!???!), and then told us about the hunt the
previous day. Oddly enough, shortly after running into them we encountered
another oddity, a Northern Bobwhite, perhaps also one of the stockees. We
did finally see one Chukar as we neared the parking lot at the end of our
walk. Guess I can't legitimately count it as a Lifer!

On the native/wild bird front, we did see our FOY Hermit Thrush (another
turned up in our yard in West K'bunk in the afternoon), our FOY Pine
Warbler, and were able to confirm the presence of Vesper Sparrows, on which
I'd reported conditionally a few days ago. Also a Palm Warbler or two,
Field Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and numerous Phoebes. Not a raptor in sight,
though the hunters said that their activities on Sunday had attracted quite
the crowd.

pfw
Paul F. Wells
West Kennebunk, ME
USA

"That’s the good thing about science: It’s true whether or not you believe
in it."
--Neil deGrasse Tyson