Date: 4/24/18 7:26 am
From: David Vick <or.naturalist...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] White-crowned Sparrows everywhere in the yard (Deschutes River Woods 5 miles SW of Bend)
Yes Jim, for the past week we have been absolutely inundated with
White-crowned Sparrows here in our yard in Terrebonne. I have never seen
such numbers and the constant cacophony in the trees is way cool. There
are so many that all of the House Sparrows have been pushed out! There are
a few Golden-crowns mixed in. We also have a very vocal and active (wink,
wink) pair of Kestels
looking like they will set up shop in our nesting box. I gave up hope of
raising anything other than starlings as kestrels have only used it once in
the dozen or so years since I put the box up. Interestingly, the kestrels
don't seem to mind that it has never been cleaned and I forgot to add wood
shavings to it this winter.

David