Date: 4/24/18 6:33 am
From: Tom Lawler <tjlawler...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] Nuthatches, holes in houses, and boxes
Mary,

I am replying to the list about it might be a topic of interest to other readers. In my opinion I would only put two houses per tree (if this is something you must do). But, even better would be one house. Again, I would recommend putting a house on a post as opposed to damaging (in my mind) a Pondo tree. I put houses on Lodgepoles. I have hundreds of them (Lodgepoles) but a vast majority are on posts or snags. In my opinion I think houses should face in some easterly direction. East or SE. If you get sun on the houses in the morning it warms up the house after a chilly evening. If you have them facing west or a SW position and sun can get to them then you can cook the house in our late spring and summer heat. Many of our birds finish their first clutch in by later June. I do have birds that double clutch (or were maybe unsuccessful the first go around) that have young in July, early August. Maybe they just waited for a good house to be emptied by the first couple. I really have no idea if the same birds are using the house twice. This is just my own experience but I have had Pygmy Nuthatches, Chickadees, Western BB and Tree Swallows nesting year after year. Nothing real exciting but always fun to watch.

Tom

Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble - Roger Tory Peterson