Date: 4/23/18 1:18 pm
From: Mary Webster <webster_mary...>
Subject: [COBOL] Nuthatches, holes in houses, and boxes
Dear fellow Central Oregon birders,

I took advice and put up nuthatch nesting boxes, and within less than 24 hours, one pair of pygmies had moved in, with 5 others watching and a chickadee trying to horn in. The other nesting box has been checked out (a few fir shavings outside on the ground), but none moved in to my knowledge. On both ends of the house, up at the roofline, pecking continues. On the north end I have screwed a metal plate over the hole. What is the solution? Put up more boxes? Do nuthatches and chickadees mind having nesting boxes close to one another? I have 18 ponderosas, but only 4 are large enough to hold nesting boxes well.

Thank you,

Mary Webster
<webster_mary...>