Date: 4/23/18 8:24 am
From: PAM CHRIS <pcscranton...>
Subject: [COBOL] Summer Lake
Pam and I were at Summer Lake yesterday morning coming back from Arizona camped at Bullate Campground. Many yellow rumps in the willows and one orange-crowned warbler. Other highlights. White-faced Ibis, Black-crowned night heron, one small flock of snow geese, white fronts, a flock of dunlin, least sand pipers, willet, avocet, black-necked stilt, loggerhead shrike, one American Pipit, at least fifty California gulls on the island along with hundreds of ring-billed gulls and several dozen Caspian Terns (no Forsters yet). Cliff Swallows gathering mud and building nests on the toilet building and kiosk. A pair of tree swallows on every box. Sora and Virginia rails and American Bittern calling all night along with marsh wrens. Sandhill Cranes paired up. Eared grebes and western grebes along with one Clark’s. One pied-billed grebe. Large flocks of shovelers. Also, mallard, lesser scaup, pintail, green-winged teal, cinnamon teal, ruddy ducks, gadwall, canvasback, a few ring-necked. A few Lincoln’s sparrows along with white-crowns, song and many savannah sparrows. Trumpeter Swans, most with ID collars but no Tundra. Yellow-headed blackbirds eating midges along with redwings and brewers.
Several yellow rumps in yard this morning in Madras. I know this is not Central Oregon but the highlight of our trip was seeing 24 California Condors circling at once at the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument. A conservation success story!!!! Good birding to all. Chris Scranton