Date: 4/22/18 10:12 am
From: Janet Paisley via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Warblers, Vireos at Observatory Hill, Albemarle County
O'Hill is what local birders call the eBird Hotspot, "Observatory Mountain" which is on the UVA Grounds on McCormick Drive where it meets Edgemont Drive at the top of the mountain. It is the highest knob in town, and is along a mountain flyway that brings us migratory birds, both Spring and Fall. I went there this morning to scout for the Monticello Bird Club field trip scheduled there on at 7:00 am on 4/24, as part of the two week long Birding Before Work series. See the monticellobirdclub.org for details. All are welcome.

As soon as I got out of the car this morning, I was into a singing mixed flock of warblers and vireos. Pete came along later for the tail end of the wave.

There is not much parking at the top of the mountain and we have been asked not to pull off on the grass on the side of the road. On field trip days, please park at the bottom of the mountain on Edgemont Drive in the National Radio Astronomy parking lot, and we will carpool to the top at 7:00, and carpool back down at 8:30. You could walk down in about 10 -15 minutes. If you go there by yourself, please park in the pull off areas near the top, which can accommodate several cars. Please be considerate of Ricky, the caretaker who lives up there. We are birding in his yard. Thank you.

Janet Paisley
Charlottesville, VA

Observatory Mountain, Albemarle, Virginia, US
Apr 22, 2018 8:37 AM - 11:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.846 mile(s)
26 species

Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus) 6
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 5
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 1
Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica) 5
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 3
Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons) 3
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius) 2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 5
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) 6
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 8
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 7
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 3
Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) 1
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 3
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 2
Cerulean Warbler (Setophaga cerulea) 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens) 8 Actual count as they moved though
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata) 7
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens) 3
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 5
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 4
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44822416