Date: 4/21/18 5:34 pm
From: 'Ricky Olson' <tatanka40...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] FW: SD-Birds

From: Gary & Cindy Olson [mailto:<olsonfam...>]
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 3:53 PM
To: <tatanka40...>
Subject: SD-Birds

Hey Ricky

I haven't talked with you for awhile. Birds are picking up here. I tried
twice today sending a message to the sd-birds list but it doesn't seem to be
going out or that is my assumption anyhow. Can you let me know if you get
this email OR if you got it thru the normal list serve route. Thanks!

While the geese and most of the duck species we normally see, have been in
the Aberdeen area the past few weeks plus I did get an invite to go out with
Alyssa Anderson and her NSU class to Sand Lake NWR on Thursday. That outing
got me 13 FOY species between the refuge and the Hecla Marsh. FOY's include:

Blue-winged Teal

Ruddy Duck

Pied-billed Grebe

Coot

Avocet

Marbled Godwit

Franklin's Gull

AW Pelican

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

White-faced Ibis

Purple Martin (at Paul Mammenga's colony)

Yellow-headed Blackbird

A drive out by the farm on 415th Ave. in Marshall County turned up minimal
ducks and species. Folks may recall the huge shorebird fallout there for
last spring's SDOU meeting. The drought up this way has dried up a very
large portion of that slough, (real bad last summer) and has been minimal
already the past couple years for breeding species. There is enough melt and
run off water back right now that I'm hopeful of another good shorebird
showing within the next few weeks.

Yesterday a walk along Moccasin Creek here in Aberdeen turned up some more
FOY species. They include:

Greater Scaup

Belted Kingfisher

Song Sparrow

Fox Sparrow

Hermit Thrush

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

and close to home Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Twenty FOY's in 2 days. Not bad.
As of yet I have checked only one of the Bald Eagle nests I'm aware of in
this area and did have one individual on nest with another standing guard
real close by. Neighbors House Finch pair was working on a nest yesterday as
well. Redpoll number have dropped drastically past couple days and seems
like I'm seeing bigger bunches of DE Junco's.

Gary Olson

Aberdeen

Join us on Facebook!