Date: 4/21/18 1:53 pm
From: 'Gary & Cindy Olson' <olsonfam...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Spring Arrivals
While the geese and most of the duck species we normally see, have been in the Aberdeen area the past few weeks plus I did get an invite to go out with Alyssa Anderson and her NSU class to Sand Lake NWR on Thursday. That outing got me 13 FOY species between the refuge and the Hecla Marsh. FOY's include:

Blue-winged Teal
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Coot
Avocet
Marbled Godwit
Franklin's Gull
AW Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
White-faced Ibis
Purple Martin (at Paul Mammenga's colony)
Yellow-headed Blackbird

A drive out by the farm on 415th Ave. in Marshall County turned up minimal ducks and species. Folks may recall the huge shorebird fallout there for last spring's SDOU meeting. The drought up this way has dried up a very large portion of that slough, (real bad last summer) and has been minimal already the past couple years for breeding species. There is enough melt and run off water back right now that I'm hopeful of another good shorebird showing within the next few weeks.

Yesterday a walk along Moccasin Creek here in Aberdeen turned up some more FOY species. They include:

Greater Scaup
Belted Kingfisher
Song Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Hermit Thrush
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

and close to home Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Twenty FOY's in 2 days. Not bad.. As of yet I have checked only one of the Bald Eagle nests I'm aware of in this area and did have one individual on nest with another standing guard real close by. Neighbors House Finch pair was working on a nest yesterday as well. Redpoll number have dropped drastically past couple days and seems like I'm seeing bigger bunches of DE Junco's.

Gary Olson
Aberdeen

Join us on Facebook!