Date: 4/21/18 10:36 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Leesylvania State Park swallows and other migrants
Leesylvania State Park in Woodbridge was a bit slow this morning warbler-wise, but several high quality appearances by other birds made for a fun morning. Best bird was a cliff swallow, seen from the overlook at the end of the Powell's Creek trail. Many swallows were feeding low over the water, mostly barns and trees. I was looking for oddballs when I saw a dark-backed bird with a large, buffy rump patch and squared-off tail. I was able to spot it several times as it made its way up and down the water, passing out of sight behind trees. I also saw a couple of bank swallows. Purple martin was the only swallow missing from the flock. Other goodies were several blue-headed vireos, a kestrel (courtesy of Scott Priebe), and a calling great-horned owl. The owl was hooting from the ridge behind the administrative office when I passed the entrance booth just before 7am. Later in the morning I walked the trail that runs along the ridge looking for a nest or branching young, b
ut no luck,

Marc Ribaudo
<moribaudo...>