Date: 4/20/18 2:30 pm
From: <sstolz1...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Whooping cranes in Gregory county this morning
After receiving a report last night, I checked out the area this morning after conducting my grouse surveys near Whetstone Bay. Sharptails were really putting on a show.
There were 5 adult whooping cranes along Highway 47 about 9 miles south of Burke. A few hundred sandhills were also in the area but not really associating with the whoopers.
Had many foy birds this morning as well, including Ruby and golden crowned kinglets, orange-crowned and yellow-rumped warblers, forsters tern, lark and vesper sparrows, great egret and spotted towhee.
Spring is wanting to come but winter just won't let go.
Scott Stolz
Fort Pierre

Join us on Facebook!