Date: 4/17/18 5:22 am
From: <mresch8702...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Spring Migrants in the Sleet, Pepperell, 4/16

With an inch of sleet covering the ground in an impermeable layer of ice, I had to feel sorry for the early spring migrants in and around my Pepperell yard on the 16th. It all started at dawn - 31 degrees and sleeting - when I spotted a Robin and 2 Phoebes foraging together around the yard most unsuccessfully. Later I had 2 Bluebirds, a Hermit Thrush, and my first Palm Warbler of the year in one tree together looking most unhappy. Interesting groups of birds foraging together - in these difficult conditions do the different species work together to look for food?

Then there was the Chipping Sparrow that searched around the edges of the driveway looking in vain for clear ground. Wonder if it was any better for the newly arrived Pine Warblers, and the Sapsucker that arrived on the 16th, that forage up in the trees instead of near the ground.

But this morning it's a balmy 37 degrees with some clear ground in places - so it's practically spring-like. Can spring be far away? Wait a second, Spring arrived nearly a month ago, or so they say.

Mike Resch
www.statebirding.blogspot.com
Pepperell, MA

Join us on Facebook!