Date: 4/16/18 7:05 pm
From: Jory Teltser via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Westport Storm Birding
3:45 - 8:00 PM --- Westport Coast

I had an outstanding day of "storm birding" along the coast of Westport,
with most highlights being gulls. Below are the highlights:

Southport Beach: 1 Laughing Gull, 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (1 first
cycle, 1 fourth cycle, 1 adult), 2 Iceland Gulls (1 dark first cycle and 1
light 2cy), and an adult Bald Eagle

Sherwood (East Beach) / Burying Hill Beach: 1 (likely) Great Black-backed x
Herring Gull Hybrid (probably this combo; photos still under review),
7(!!!) Lesser Black-backed Gulls (4 adults, 1 fourth cycle, 1 first summer,
1 first winter; making a total of 8-9 for the day in Westport!!), and 50
Fish Crows. I also had several very odd looking American Herring Gulls,
including one that showed similarities in plumage to the west-coast
population.

I wish I had more time this afternoon to bird other locations in the area,
as I'm sure I missed a lot.

Jory Teltser:
President of the CTYBC, and Member of the Land Management Committee at
Aspetuck Land Trust
Westport
*Check out the Connecticut Young Birders Blog!*
https://connecticutybc.wordpress.com/