Date: 4/16/18 7:01 pm
From: Ryan Maclean via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Extralimital: WOOD SANDPIPER on Long Island NY
A WOOD SANDPIPER was found by Patricia Lindsay at Timber Point Country Club
in Great River NY (Long Island) this afternoon. See below for pictures and
details

*Subject: Wood Sandpiper Timber Point Golf Course now Suffolk Co*
Date: Mon Apr 16 2018 20:04 pm
From: Shaibal.Mitra AT csi.cuny.edu

The Wood Sandpiper continued in the rain pools just east of the Timber
Point entrance road (and just south of the spur road to the East
Marina) until it was too dark to see.

The discovery and identification of this mega rarity was a team
effort. I was seawatching at Robert Moses SP when Patricia called me
to report an unfamiliar shorebird. Her puzzlement was my cue to race
over to join her, along with my seawatching companions Brent Bomkamp
and Taylor Sturm. We pulled up, predictably, just after the birds had
flushed. While I spoke with Pat and reviewed some distant photos,
Brent and Taylor set out to relocate the flock. As I came to the
conclusion that it was likely a very rare Wood Sandpiper, they
re-found the bird. We re-joined them and exhilaration ensued!

The place where we were watching it was not a good, publicly
accessible, location, but fortunately the bird soon flew (calling
"chip-chip-chip" right over us) and returned to the near-ideal place
described above, where it remained as admirers arrived until it was
too dark to see.

I'll put some photos up here:

https://flic.kr/p/24SZZUa

Shai Mitra