Date: 4/16/18 2:48 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
I guess it was the rain that kept the birders away today from the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk because we could only draw 12 birders.  Our count was also lower than we have had for quite a while, with only 45 species counted. Highlights included a spotted Sandpiper;  and a load of Green Herons.

Canada Goose  23
Wood Duck  7
Blue-winged Teal  3
Gadwall  2
Mallard  4
Hooded Merganser  4
Great Blue Heron  3
Green Heron  7
Black Vulture  2
Osprey  1
Bald Eagle  1
American Coot  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Mourning Dove  5
Barred Owl  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  3
Fish Crow  7
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  1
Tree Swallow  12
Barn Swallow  2
Carolina Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Carolina Wren  4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  16
Prothonotary Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  3
Palm Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12
Chipping Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  10
Swamp Sparrow  3
Northern Cardinal  14
Red-winged Blackbird  61
Rusty Blackbird  5
American Goldfinch  4

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from March through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Nancy VehrsFriends of Huntley Meadows Park