Date: 4/16/18 2:19 pm
From: Kathryn Ostermier <kathryn...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Migratory Bird Treaty Act changes
David,
I don’t have a ton of time for a complete refutation, though I would like
to tip my hat to your email. Implying that you are the cool, logical
intellectual while your opponent is a hysterical reactionary - even
helpfully providing instructions to them on how to respond to you - is a
time-honored internet tradition. It was dark in here; thank you for turning
on the gaslight.
I do want to point out that the Heritage Foundation is absolutely a
Mercer-funded conservative (“right wing”) think-tank which publishes
scholarly works in support of its pro-business / anti-regulation mission -
in this case, at the expense of avian life.
That said, while theirs is certainly an interpretation with an agenda,
‘propaganda’ may have been the slightest shade too far.
I appreciate the way they carefully couched their concern-trolling as
preventing Grandma Smith or Little Joey from being prosecuted for a window
strike or a naughty cat and oh - as a side note - “land developers, oil and
gas company workers, and even wind-turbine operators can breathe a little
easier too.”
At a time when there is a rapid movement towards de-regulation and reducing
protections for our public lands via the EPA and Interiors, I certainly
understand and share the concern of Suzanne and others about a more
pro-business (apologies - “pro-Grandma Smith”) interpretation of the MBTA,
which begins the erosion of protection. This in itself may not have a
devastating impact on the avian population, but it sets precedent for
rolling back additional protections. The drip-drip-drip of a rainstorm
erodes a hillside; you’re not too worried until suddenly there’s 2’ of mud
in your living room.
I think we all know who is getting the short end of this stick to perch on,
and it isn’t the land developers and oil companies.
I hope this refutation is cool enough, while also lacking troublesome
passion.
Good birding,
Kathryn Ostermier

Somerville, MA