Date: 4/16/18 10:39 am
Subject: Purple Finch, Rockingham County, NC
Hi Carolina Birders,

I saw one female/immature Purple Finch with a flock of American Goldfinches
along Deshazo Road (part of Mayo River State Park) in northwest Rockingham
County, NC this morning. The finches were feeding on the abundant slippery
elm seeds near the one lane bridge about half a mile north od Anglin Mill
Road. This spot has been consistently good for Purple Finches during the
middle of April every year since I started birding there in 2013, except
for 2015, when I didn't make it during the peak week. eBird checklist with
photos linked below. Below that is a list of Purple Finch high counts by
year for the location. In a good finch year, it is amazing...even in an
off year, there was at least one Purple Finch.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_view_checklist_S44627917&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=IKXo4ycAeGA0qY3eQkwcmpLVTryPiu8YBflRnsznps8&s=w_e4af46zPbTg9snD4K2iycUcRIvilH3Uun0ykGdimA&e=

2013 - 15
2014 - 2
2015 - 0...(five visits in April, but none during the peak week)
2016 - 28
2017 - 3
2018 - 1

Marty Wall