Date: 4/16/18 8:36 am
From: Will Weber <will...>
Subject: [birders] Barton Pond Lunacy Continues

Barton Pond echoed with the calls of at least 44 Common Loons this morning. I scanned the pond multiple times from three locations with my spotting scope and feel 44 birds may be an undercount due to active, extended diving activity. Several loons surfaced with small fish in their bills. The cold wind may have dampened the birds enthusiasm for calling but on two occasions the persistent calling of one bird managed to raise a chorus across the pond. With eyes closed I could have imagined standing on the shore of a Boundary Waters lake.

Most birds are visible from the berm near the HRD power substation pullout or the Foster Nature area, but a number of the birds were hugging the north shore and were hard to discern without a spotting scope.

Other birds of interest included a Forster’s Tern, Bonaparte’s Gulls and many continuing grebes and mergansers.
Here is a link to an eBird list of my sightings <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44630009>.

Will Weber

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<C7AC3F2C-00F9-4616-AD30-F964C3905AD9...>