Date: 4/16/18 8:09 am
From: <david.harrison...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Snowy Owl at Schenectady County Airport and yesterday's wanderings
After a futile search for yesterday's Mew Gull, a short stop at the corner of Tower Road and Tech Park Drive for a scan of Schenectady County Airport produced a distant view (100+ yards) of the/a Snowy Owl near one of the runways. By far my latest record for this species and my first April record.
And speaking of yesterday, the weather pattern produced some significant water bird fallout which Mark Fitzsimmons and I enjoyed together. The best fallout bird was the aforementioned Mew Gull at Collins Lake (not seen by me). There were birds everywhere with massive numbers of Bonaparte's Gulls (near 300 for the days with 120 at East Canada Lake the biggest group) and Double-crested Cormorants (huge mass of birds at Lock 7) being most notable. Other highlights were 4 White-winged Scoters on the Mohawk River in Glenville, Long-tailed Ducks - one at Schoharie Crossing and 10 at Lock 7, Red-breasted Mergansers at Collins Lake and Schoharie Crossing, Common Loons and Horned Grebes at East Canada Lake and Collins Lake, as well as along the Mohawk River in Glenville, Red-necked Grebes at Collins Lake and 4 in the Mohawk River at Freeman's Bridge and at the Scotia Bike Trail, 3 Grater Yellowlegs at Schoharie Crossing, a fly-by Caspian Tern at Lock 13 in Montgomery County and 28 American Pipits at Schoharie Crossing.
A great day to be out and nice compensation for the nasty weather conditions.
David Harrison
Milford, NJ

Posted by: <david.harrison...>

<*> Your email settings: