Date: 4/16/18 7:55 am
From: Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Recent sightings
Using Dom's report to add a few other recent sightings from Saturday, 4/14:

During a brief morning seawatch from the S end of the Great Highway, I observed 1 ANCIENT MURRELET flying N. There were small numbers of each of the regular 3 loon species around, but no significant movement.

During a brief stop at the Cliff House with Hugh Cotter, there were 20+ Surfbirds, 1 Black Turnstone, and 3 fly-by Caspian Terns. Impressive were 3 Gray Whales breaching and spouting just beyond the rocks.

We also made a brief mid-morning stop at Battery Godfrey. There were just a few migrants including:
Cooper's Hawk 2
Band-tailed Pigeon 110
Western Kingbird 3 (perching and moving around the trees)
Violet-green Swallow 2

Finally, a belated report I previously submitted that didn't seem to make it through the SFBirds listserv: on 3/30 during some afternoon sky-watching from my deck I observed an ad. GOLDEN EAGLE flying S high over Cole Valley @ 2:35 PM. It continued over Tank Hill and out of view.

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

> On April 15, 2018 at 5:59 PM Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> wrote:
>

> > Migration has been picking up in recent days with some arrival dates below:
> >
> > On April 8th, (5) Bank Swallows were noted flying around the colony site at the south end of Ocean Beach/Fort Funston during a morning seawatch.
> >
> > On April 11th a Black-headed Grosbeak passed through on Corona Hill.
> >
> > Yesterday (4/14) a Sora and (6) Cinnamon Teal were still at Wooden Bridge north Lake Merced.
> >

> > Dominik Mosur
> > San Francisco

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: