Date: 4/16/18 6:51 am
From: Robert O'Connell <flashart123...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Cumberland Thrushes
Having been away the last 2 weeks in Alabama, I returned to a noticeable uptick in AMRO’s. Not only is our nesting pair back and fine tuning the nest area, there have been many more in the neighborhood fields as well. In addition 2 hermit thrushes have been present in my yard at the same time, one under my feeders and the other in the back yard picking through leaf litter. A walk through the trails at the Knights Pond Preserve up on the Bruce Hill part mostly, we encountered 3 more hermit thrushes and one more possible Swainson’s/Gray Cheeked thrush. Not 100% sure on the last one as I did not have my binoculars but it was larger than the others and more heavily spotted on the belly down closer to the legs, and the face stood out to have more of that “spectacled” look. I will just say it looked different enough from the others to stand out. Our intent during the walk was to repel the evil ice monsters that were remaining on the hill so we had to choose our weapons carefully. I chose a staff over binoculars. I may have thought differently if I knew they were calling in the reinforcements last night. 😊

Cheers,
Rob