Date: 4/16/18 6:31 am
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report
*ANKENY WILDLIFE REFUGE SCOUTING TRIP REPORT - APRIL 15, 2018*

* COMMENTS AND HIGHLIGHTS:*

Fred Stephens and myself chose a vehicle trek of 14 miles and around the
refuge and to the Buena Vista Ferry (closed due to high water) rather take
a walking loop on this soggy weather day. Clearly though a morning of rain
and coolness, spring was well represented by FOS species. We started at the
Overview, proceeded to the ACORN WOODPECKER corner where we had feeding
YELLOW-RUMPS in the oaks. We stopped along Buena Vista pullouts and had
DUNLIN with black bellies, and an unexpected serenade, by an AMERICAN
BITTERN making ka-wunk calls from the ditch; and the beginning site of 3
for the large number of GREATER-WHITE FRONTED GEESE in the day.

GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW was still well represented in hedgerows and singing.
The vocal COMMON YELLOWTHROATS seemed settled. One SORA called when near
the Eagle Marsh kiosk where we had a single CINNAMON TEAL to enjoy among
the11 duck species (another pair was seen at a pullout). No Northern
Pintail nor Common Goldeneye nor phalarope today.

We visited the Las Brisas Farm for a look at the 6 BARN OWLETS - this view
is always with prior arranged protocol, with caution and quietness, and
when verified the mother owl is not present. Their basic plumage of color,
speckling on their crowns is coming in nicely and they appear to be
thriving. The Las Brisas Farm field pond at the organic hay field yielded 2
WOOD DUCK that flushed as we emerged from the vehicle. Unusual for this
property on our field trips. Finally, more new birds for the day at the
Ferry with OSPREY tending the nest and a flyby adult BALD EAGLE. Then on
Wintel Rd and the Willow tree, more ducks and geese and Fred found one male
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD - few sightings last year at Ankeny so keep an eye
out. We ended the morning with 2 WESTERN BLUEBIRDS on Ankeny Hill Rd. Great
birding for a soggy morn.

* Here is the total species: *
350 Greater White-fronted Goose
2500 Cackling Goose
31 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) -- Pair with 5 goslings
4 Wood Duck
2 Cinnamon Teal
20 Northern Shoveler
10 Gadwall
20 American Wigeon
6 Mallard
134 Green-winged Teal
12 Ring-necked Duck
15 Lesser Scaup
24 Bufflehead
8 Ruddy Duck
1 American Bittern
1 Osprey
1 Bald Eagle
3 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Sora
4 American Coot
3 Killdeer
10 Dunlin
3 Wilson's Snipe
3 Greater Yellowlegs
1 Eurasian Collared-Dove
2 Acorn Woodpecker
3 Northern Flicker (Red-shafted)
1 American Kestrel
3 California Scrub-Jay
5 American Crow
200 Violet-green Swallow
1 Barn Swallow
2 Bewick's Wren
2 Western Bluebird
3 American Robin
20European Starling
20 American Pipit
5 Common Yellowthroat
5 Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)
1 Dark-eyed Junco
26 White-crowned Sparrow
54 Golden-crowned Sparrow
3 Savannah Sparrow
5 Song Sparrow
1 Spotted Towhee
1 Yellow-headed Blackbird -- At willow tree on Wintel Rd.
3 Western Meadowlark
25 Red-winged Blackbird
8 Brewer's Blackbird
1 House Finch
1 House Sparrow

Number of Taxa: 52

Join us on the Field Trip this coming Sunday, April 22,

Barbara Dolan

Join us on Facebook!