Date: 4/16/18 12:17 am
Subject: Lesser Black-b, Gulls feed at 30 km; some nos, to our north now
Looking at the internet, I found that in Finland breeding LBBG would go 30-40 km away to feed; at fur farms, individuals flying over OK feeding spots to go to their "favorites" (stealing penned animals' food). Some other individual LBBG would stick to more-natural sources of food.

And, just this last week, some 40 or 100 (cannot remember at which site) LBBG were seen at the Northampton County Landfill in PA, and at Irondequoit Bay, Lake Ontario (site of a recent fishkill).

I do not know about landfills near Buckhorn Lake in WIlson County.

And, ebird did not seem to have any double-digit numbers of LBBG since R. Davis located that fantastic flock of 300 at Buckhorn (though, as noted,some just showed up on the birdlines).

Supposedly the LBBG here are from a Greenland population, but I did not see any numbers in eBird in Newfoundland or Greenland, just the usual single digit reports for Iceland (bigger nos. in Europe, as expected).

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!