Date: 4/15/18 5:11 pm
From: Kat Bradley-Bennett <katpbennett...>
Subject: [cobirds] American Avocets east of Longmont
During a bird survey this morning for the city of Longmont at the Peschel
open space, Jamie Simo and I had the pleasure of finding more than 20
American Avocets in different locations along the St. Vrain. One flock of
14 took wing at one point, but came down at our eastern-most count area.

Peschel lies just west of the Sandstone Ranch area. The floods of 2013
resulted in massive habitat changes, including small mud flats and quiet
inlets that are being used by migrating ducks and shore birds. The area is
not yet open to the public, but when it is, it will be a great opportunity
for waterfowl, shore birds, and passerines. I'm just waiting for Sandhill
Cranes to put it on their "must visit" stops during migration!

Kat Bradley-Bennett
Longmont