Date: 4/15/18 4:06 pm
From: GQ <glennq...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Northern Gannets, Manhasset Bay (Nassau County)
This afternoon, I was looking out the window at my mother’s home on Manhasset Bay around 3PM and I spotted an adult Northern Gannet. I went down on the dock with binoculars and was treated to very close views of 2 adult birds plunge-diving together into the relatively shallow bay waters. (It was a very high tide at the time and I believe the water depth is only about 7 to 9 feet).
They’re found with some regularity in western LI Sound but they rarely wander into the adjacent bay, so this was a nice treat on a cold Spring day. Also, a Red-throated Loon was on the bay.

Cheers,

Glenn Quinn

ARCHIVES:
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01