Date: 4/15/18 4:00 pm
From: Margaret Jewett <jewett4543...>
Subject: [birders] Barton Loons
I will add my eBird comments from earlier today as Sheri Smith’s remarks about loons are of interest:

22 Common Loon

Whole flock down in ice storm! Added another to the group when Sheri Smith came by and asked for help in releasing the largest loon she'd ever rehabbed. Sheri described loons as being the fiercest and most dangerous of birds to handle; she also surmised many came down, having iced their wings ,and landed on icy roadways which look like rivers from the air. This handsome bird had scuffed up his feet pretty badly trying to take off with no success. When given the opportunity, sharp, dagger-like bill leading the way, he stepped out of the cage directly into Barton Pond where he immediately dove and never looked back!
Maggie
Margaret Jewett
<jewett4543...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org