Date: 4/15/18 12:59 pm
From: Cesar Castillo <czar3233...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Whimbrel at Breezy Point, Queens NY
I walked out from the Fishermans parking lot at Fort Tilden to Breezy Point jetty.  On the long march back a Whimbrel flew towards me and then past me.  I got some bad photos of it as it flew away, but you can still see the curved bill and whitish rump of this largish shorebird.  Other good finds included a small flock of White-winged Scoters in the choppy waters and hundreds of Northern Gannets, Purple Sandpipers and up to 8 Piping Plovers.  Some breeding plumage Common Loons.  I thought I saw a seal as I approached the jetty but it dove down and never popped up again.
Here is a link to the e-bird report.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44596163

Afterwards I stopped by Big Egg Marsh and on the way out I found a Tricolored Heron.  It was in the marshy area found between the bridge to the Rockaways, the parking lot and the baseball fields.  Very easy to photograph from that spot even with my 300mm.See checklist below.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44599081

César
Una tarde la princesa  vio una estrella aparecer;  la princesa era traviesa  y la quiso ir a coger.
La quería para hacerla  decorar un prendedor,  con un verso y una perla,  una pluma y una flor.
Las princesas primorosas  se parecen mucho a ti;  cortan lirios, cortan rosas,  cortan astros. Son así.
-A Margarita Debayle (To Margarita Debayle) by Ruben Dario

ARCHIVES:
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/