Date: 4/15/18 11:34 am
From: Marshall Iliff <miliff...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Two Mew Gulls (one canus, one brachyrhynchus) at Cohasset
MASSBIRD,

This morning Vin Zollo found an adult Mew Gull among 100+ Ring-billed at
Sandy Beach, Cohasset.

It was not present when I arrived at 12:30 (with Kathleen Rawdon) but
appeared 30 min later. After much study and many photos, it seems very
likely to be L.c. brachyrhynchus, the western USA/Canada subspecies and
just the state’s second if so. Subspecies ID hinges on mantle color,
structure and details of primary pattern and is discussed at (great) length
in a recent Dutch Birding paper by Peter Adriaens and Chris Gibbins.

Interestingly, I lost it at about 1:45 but spotted an adult, banded L. c.
canus. This is a different bird than the recent Lynn/Nahant bird as it has
a color band that seems to show 741.

Much gull activity here in high surf. Seems likely to continue tomorrow
given the forecast.

Best,
Marshall Iliff
--