Date: 4/15/18 11:17 am
From: Nickilas Paulson <grendelpgill...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Westboro WMA BBC trip and other highlights from Grafton - 4/15
Howdy,
Yesterday morning I led a Brookline BC walk to Westboro WMA, I believe I had 12 participants(if I counted correctly). It was a beautiful spring day to be out, beginning of migration with the early 3 warblers species. Also very vocal and visible RC Kinglets. We found a pair of Eastern Bluebirds building a nest. The female had so much nesting material in her beak that you could barely see her. Great migration day for Red-tailed Hawks, several thermals seen being used.
Afterwards I birded a few spots in Westboro and Upton and had several FOY birds of note.

A Great Egret at Target in Westboro, in the marsh by the causeway into the parking lot.
Vesper and Savannah Sparrows at Tufts University Fields in Grafton. The Vesper was on the fence post by the parking lot for the Wildlife Clinic. Also many more Red-tailed Hawks migrating.
I then checked Hennessy Conservation Land in Grafton off Adams Road and Eastabrook Avenue. Very productive spot. Highlights: American Wigeon-pair / Bald Eagle / Hermit Thrush / 23 Yellow Palm Warblers / Vesper Sparrow-singing / 6 Rusty Blackbird-including watching a pair with one making a new for me 3 note call similar to the Tufted Titmouse 3 note call.
Also of note there was what appeared to be a Northern Red-tailed Hawk (abieticola) juvenile. Heavier dark blotches on breast, making a strong unbroken breast band thinnest in the middle, darker areas in the forewings. slightly banded tail below, brown tail above. darker to the forewings below than eastern juveniles. First juvenile I have come upon, I have only seen 2 adults before this in MA.

Westborough WMA
full list from bird walk including both sides.
13 Canada Goose
15 Mute Swan
10 Wood Duck
7 Mallard
2 Ring-necked Duck
9 Bufflehead
2 Double-crested Cormorant
1 Great Blue Heron
4 Turkey Vulture
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
3 Cooper's Hawk
14 Red-tailed Hawk (borealis)
60 hawk sp. -- Likely mostly Red-tailed Hawks. Many distant Kettles. Good migration day for them.
1 Virginia Rail - FOY
3 Killdeer
7 Ring-billed Gull
6 Mourning Dove
4 Red-bellied Woodpecker
7 Downy Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker
8 Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)
1 American Kestrel
13 Eastern Phoebe
4 Blue Jay
9 American Crow
14 Tree Swallow
15 Black-capped Chickadee
16 Tufted Titmouse
3 White-breasted Nuthatch
3 Golden-crowned Kinglet
7 Ruby-crowned Kinglet - FOY
4 Eastern Bluebird
27 American Robin
2 European Starling
19 Palm Warbler (Yellow)
9 Pine Warbler
7 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)
4 American Tree Sparrow
7 Chipping Sparrow
1 Field Sparrow
3 Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)
4 White-throated Sparrow
22 Song Sparrow
7 Swamp Sparrow
2 Eastern Towhee
5 Northern Cardinal
12 Red-winged Blackbird
6 Brown-headed Cowbird
19 Common Grackle
4 blackbird sp. -- Only seen at bad angles in flight, but shape of Rusties.
2 House Finch
1 Purple Finch
18 American Goldfinch
4 House Sparrow