Date: 4/15/18 8:32 am
From: Albert Guarente <0000005bfd76f698-dmarc-request...>
Subject: American Oystercatcher (Delaware County)
Hi      This morning I headed to the Delaware River behind the Philadelphia Airport at low tide. I first checked the little pond within the airport fence and was treated to the usual Wilson's Snipes (5), a Lesser Yellowlegs, four Greater Yellowlegs and a Pectoral Sandpiper (FOY). At the river, there is a mudflat present during low tide and while I was scanning the gulls I saw a peep type bird walking along the mudflats but being so far away I was unable to Id the bird. Suddenly all the gulls took off and while looking quickly through them I spotted a bird with a different shape and quicker wingbeats than the gulls. I immediately could see it was an American Oystercatcher. The bird started to fly upriver towards Phila and I lost track of it. About 5 minutes later I scanned the mudflats again and the Oystercatcher had returned to roost. Definitely too far for a photo but easily recognizable as an Oystercatcher. Then a Bald Eagle flew in and flushed all the birds. At this point, the bird was lost and the mudflats were just about gone due to the incoming tide. This is only the second time that I have seen an Oystercatcher in PA and both times it was in Delaware County.

Al Guarente
Delaware County, Pa 19063
CallSend SMSCall from mobileAdd to SkypeYou'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Join us on Facebook!