Date: 4/14/18 11:23 pm
From: Marie Hoerner <mesozoic.cephalopod...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Re: Pawnee Grasslands 10April2018 (Weld)
Hi everyone,

That response seems outrageous to me for several reasons:

- The bird tour was there before the area was used for shooting, as he
points out in his email.
- Birders are not putting the physical safety and lives of other people
at risk, while recreational shooters are. I have also viewed sports
shooters shooting *across* the road on the auto tour. In one instance,
even as our car approached, the sports shooter kept firing across the road
and refused to put his gun down to allow us to safely pass. We stopped and
waited, then gave up and turned around and took a different route. I don't
understand how that can be considered acceptable *anywhere. *They are
begging to have somebody killed.
- Bird nesting grounds cannot simply be relocated to a different road,
so moving a bird auto tour is not actually as straightforward as he makes
it sound.
- The area is supposed to be at least partially devoted to preserving
natural resources such as the ever-decreasing amount of natural prairie,
and so it seems that the numerous threatened and declining bird and
other species using that area for nesting, migration, overwintering, etc.
should have some value and priority when these decisions are being made.
The last time I was on the route (last summer), you could not get out of
hearing range of one sports shooter before you started hearing another.
That kind of widespread, constant use of loud guns can't be helping the
wildlife maintain healthy, normal behaviors and routines.

I recognize that I am biased on this issue as someone with a lifelong love
of birds and nature with no interest in sports shooting, but I do try to
recognize the rights and needs of people with different values than I
have. My dad's entire side of the family in North Dakota engages in sports
shooting and hunting, and I respect their right to do so. However, I think
any of them would be appalled at people taking assault rifles and shooting
across a public road. That is reckless, irresponsible, and dangerous. I
lived by Cherry Creek State Park last year. They have done an excellent
job of arranging a shooting range, a model airport field, a dog park,
campgrounds, a marina, and hiking trails that allow a wide variety of
people to use a densely populated park for many uses without anybody
feeling that they are in danger. Meanwhile, the park supports a variety of
birds and wildlife successfully. Pawnee National Grasslands has a far
greater area with a much lower density of people, so I see no reason that a
similar balance of interests and needs (including those of the wildlife)
should not be possible.

Those are my thoughts at least.

Marie Hoerner, Colorado Springs, El Paso County