Date: 4/14/18 9:06 pm
From: Alan Ryff <alryff...>
Subject: [birders] Jeff Schultz's Swainson's Hawk
I don't knowwhat all the this fuss is about.  Aside from nit-picking about plumage coloration, Rough-legs and Swainson's are to different anatomical creatures. I've beenwith Jeff Schultz in the field.  I love to say it: Jeff  is  at thetop of the heap when it comes to the field identification of raptors, especially in theGreat Lakes.  He is not a wannabe birder to stretch aRough-leg into a Swainson's.  He would notto do so such a crude thing.   His bionic eyes are razor skillful.   He is a veteran hawk counter.  ID-ing a Swainson's Hawk  is no big deal for  the likes of his caliber.  Just take him at his word.   From one who can't understand why aSwainson's Hawk, dark or light morph,must be somewhere west of Michigan to identify.
Alan Ryff

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<1394864411.398122.1523765159359...>