Date: 4/14/18 6:41 pm
From: Scott Barnes <scott.barnes...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Sandy Hook today
Jerseybirds,

The NJ Audubon field trip to Sandy Hook enjoyed a good hawk flight, dominated by a steady pulse of Am. Kestrels, Merlins, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Cooper's Hawks, plus several No. Harriers and 1-2 juvenile Red-shouldered Hawks.

There were reasonably good numbers of typical April passerine migrants like Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, both Kinglets, Hermit Thrushes, and Palm Warblers. Other local arrivals were Green Heron, 2 Yellow-crowned Night Herons, Barn & No. Rough-winged Swallows, and Blue-headed Vireo.

Additional birds of note (not seen by our group) were Am. Bittern, Solitary & Spotted Sandpipers, a Whip-poor-will accidentally flushed at daybreak, and most surprisingly a Prothonotary Warbler photographed in the dunes (fide Linda Mack, Rob Fanning) at C-lot. All told, about 90 species of birds were found on Sandy Hook today.

Also of note, 2 Least Terns were photographed at Old Bridge Waterfront Park this afternoon. This is about two weeks earlier than the typical arrival date on the north NJ coast.

Thanks to Tom Brown, Jason Denesevich, and David Larsen for contributing to this report, and to our great team of associate naturalists. Our next NJ Audubon trip to the hook is Sunday Apr 22.

Good birding,

Scott Barnes
Program Director, All Things Birds
Assistant Director, Eco-Travel