Date: 4/14/18 5:07 pm
From: Madeleine Linck <madeleine.linck...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Pileated at my suet
We regularly had a pair at our suet next to our house in Minnesota. They
often brought their young and "spoon fed" them at the feeder. It was plain
suet from the grocery store, hung in a wire basket. Also had an occasional
red headed woodpecker stop by as well as yellow rumped warblers.

Have yet to see a Pileated at our new home in Rehoboth, Bristol County.

Madeleine Linck
Rehoboth, Mass

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018, 6:15 PM Sandy Selesky <sandyselesky...> wrote:

> There is a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers hanging around the woods in my
> condo community and especially near my unit. I'm hoping they might have a
> nesting hole nearby. We've had Pileated Woodpeckers here before so this is
> nothing new but they are always a thrill to see. After 32 years of hanging
> bird feeders on the upper deck just 6 feet or so away from the glass slide
> doors of our living room, and getting Downies, Hairies, Red-bellied
> woodpeckers, and other birds enjoying the suet feeder, always wondering why
> a Pileated, even in the harshest of winters, never paid a visit to it, it
> finally happened. The female of the pair seems to have taken a liking to
> the Nutty suet cake hanging from the pole on my deck railing!! My husband
> yelled to me on Thursday to come quickly and there she was. I couldn't
> believe my eyes and after taking some cell phone pictures of her that
> morning I was finally able to get more decent pictures of her with my good
> camera this afternoon when I lucked out again with another visit from her.
> I saw her land on the deck railing first after watching those gorgeous
> wings spread out as she flew across my backyard from a nearby tree and she
> then spent over 6 minutes or so gorging herself at the suet. WOW! Then
> she flew back into the woods. I don't know if she'll tell her mate about
> this new food supply she's discovered or if she'll continue visiting
> periodically but it certainly has been a wonderful surprise and a long time
> coming! Does anybody else get Pileated woodpeckers on their deck feeders?
> I never thought it was possible!!
>
> Sandy Selesky
> Westford, MA
> <sandyselesky...>