Date: 4/14/18 4:39 pm
From: msalett <msalett...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Pileated at my suet
Hi, Sandy-

Even though there are Pileated Woodpeckers at Ridge Hill Reservation, the conservation land that abuts my house, I have never seen them at my feeders.

Strangely, however, last Tuesday and Wednesday (4/4 and 4/5) I had a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at the sunflower hearts feeder on my back deck. I have never seen a sapsucker in Needham before. I’ve been away since 4/9 so I don’t expect to see it again by the time I get home.

Ah, the surprises and delights of birding!

Marsha Salett
Needham MA
<msalett...>

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 14, 2018, at 12:51 PM, Sandy Selesky <sandyselesky...> wrote:
>
> There is a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers hanging around the woods in my condo community and especially near my unit. I'm hoping they might have a nesting hole nearby. We've had Pileated Woodpeckers here before so this is nothing new but they are always a thrill to see. After 32 years of hanging bird feeders on the upper deck just 6 feet or so away from the glass slide doors of our living room, and getting Downies, Hairies, Red-bellied woodpeckers, and other birds enjoying the suet feeder, always wondering why a Pileated, even in the harshest of winters, never paid a visit to it, it finally happened. The female of the pair seems to have taken a liking to the Nutty suet cake hanging from the pole on my deck railing!! My husband yelled to me on Thursday to come quickly and there she was. I couldn't believe my eyes and after taking some cell phone pictures of her that morning I was finally able to get more decent pictures of her with my good camera this afternoon when I lucked out again with another visit from her. I saw her land on the deck railing first after watching those gorgeous wings spread out as she flew across my backyard from a nearby tree and she then spent over 6 minutes or so gorging herself at the suet. WOW! Then she flew back into the woods. I don't know if she'll tell her mate about this new food supply she's discovered or if she'll continue visiting periodically but it certainly has been a wonderful surprise and a long time coming! Does anybody else get Pileated woodpeckers on their deck feeders? I never thought it was possible!!
>
> Sandy Selesky
> Westford, MA
> <sandyselesky...>

Join us on Facebook!