Date: 4/14/18 4:27 pm
From: David Gibson <20cabot...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Pileated at my suet
Sandy, I visited a state park in PA recently and happened by a feeding
station in the woods. There were several man-made suet feeders. One was
rather large. The large one was filled with suet, provided by the local
butcher no doubt. This was no suet cake. I stood behind the blind there and
observed a Pileated make many trips to it. I was as surprised as anyone.
Had never seen a Pileated at a suet feeder before. Glad you got some good
shots! Dave Gibson Chesapeake,VA

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Sandy Selesky <sandyselesky...>
wrote:

> There is a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers hanging around the woods in my
> condo community and especially near my unit. I'm hoping they might have a
> nesting hole nearby. We've had Pileated Woodpeckers here before so this is
> nothing new but they are always a thrill to see. After 32 years of hanging
> bird feeders on the upper deck just 6 feet or so away from the glass slide
> doors of our living room, and getting Downies, Hairies, Red-bellied
> woodpeckers, and other birds enjoying the suet feeder, always wondering why
> a Pileated, even in the harshest of winters, never paid a visit to it, it
> finally happened. The female of the pair seems to have taken a liking to
> the Nutty suet cake hanging from the pole on my deck railing!! My husband
> yelled to me on Thursday to come quickly and there she was. I couldn't
> believe my eyes and after taking some cell phone pictures of her that
> morning I was finally able to get more decent pictures of her with my good
> camera this afternoon when I lucked out again with another visit from her.
> I saw her land on the deck railing first after watching those gorgeous
> wings spread out as she flew across my backyard from a nearby tree and she
> then spent over 6 minutes or so gorging herself at the suet. WOW! Then
> she flew back into the woods. I don't know if she'll tell her mate about
> this new food supply she's discovered or if she'll continue visiting
> periodically but it certainly has been a wonderful surprise and a long time
> coming! Does anybody else get Pileated woodpeckers on their deck feeders?
> I never thought it was possible!!
>
> Sandy Selesky
> Westford, MA
> <sandyselesky...>